Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Garden and more









We finally got around to getting our seeds in the earth. It felt so good to have a nice, long, sunny, windless weekend here at the homestead.  Ashton rotated from the backpack, to a blanket to "the walker" (you can see her wiley ways in the photos! Half my challege is just keeping her hat on) to my hip in miscellaneous stations around the yard. She especially liked watering the seeds in. It was very much so like bathtime with all the splashing and giggling. She was so stimulated by spring (dandelions and clover, bees and birds, our last chicken Ari and our cat Teanaway stalking worms and rodents, and Poppie running big machines) that she decided that she no longer needs to nap. I thought for sure she'd be so tired that she'd just pass out early, but with the sun she discovered her shadow, and because I stripped the windows of their curtains for a good washing, at 7 o'clock she was in no mood for sleep. After nursing, reading nine books and playing shadow puppets on the blanket in the last light of the day, she finally committed to dreamland. This new found fondness of daylight has left Izzi boycotting nap time too--perhaps for good. Karol said she wouldn't go down at preschool either. I found her sifting sand and smiling yesterday when I picked her up. Ahhhh, sweet Izzi.

In other news, eating has changed as well. Suddenly baby A has "inspector gadget" arms, and wants to experience everything for herself. I really have to be careful what is on the table when I turn my back. I finally got online and ordered some self-feeder spoons, as the ones we have sport ridiculously long handles and Ashton will gag herself if I let her. So the new glorious spoons arrived and I soon realized that Izzi very well could be left-handed, which doesn't really work with a spoon that corners to the the left for right handed easy eating. I think the new spoons have created chaos, as Izzi loves them, and they just make eating more messy in the left hand. I swear over half of her servings are dumped on the table and used for finger painting instead. I guess I never really expected to have a dainty Auntie Amy eater anyway. I myself always had some sort of scum or scuff somewhere, as a matter of fact, I still do. I just thought maybe she'd be a little bit more of a "neater-eater" but I guess we just wouldn't be having as much fun in that case. 

Oh...and to top everything off, JakeBob taught my darling Ashton Isadora to stick her tongue out. She loves it. Damn. I hope this is one phase that doesn't last long. 




No comments: