Thursday, July 8, 2010

Turtle Pool

Summer has finally arrived. We got a little turtle pool for Izzi to cool down in. She absolutely loves it. She spent hours sitting in the cold water today, and I spent hours listening to her snake talk to her giraffe. Her imagination blows me away. The things she says crack me up. It's been fun to see and hear what is going on in her brain more clearly these days. Naturally her dialogues revolve around the things we do--going to the park or the beach, walking to get the mail, making lunch or sometimes just tea, reading a book, getting ready for naps, going potty--but these things that were once mundane have taken a lively turn coming from my toddler. She can spin the commonplace into a real adventure. Both Jake and I are so lucky to have the summers off. It has given us a lot of family time where we just absorb our little girl's brilliance. And she is brilliant! (mother's laugh..heheheee)
 
After a little potty break we decided to just leave her bottoms off. She liked that too. I've never been fond of little girls in two piece suits until today. I used to think it was so wrong, but now I know it can be so right too. When that sudden realization that the "tinkle" is coming and can't really be controlled for long (as a week ago there would always be a diaper to save the day) the quick-off bottoms are a real bonus. Oh, notice how the pants come off and the pool gets more crowded? Yeah. By the end of the day it was a real party for every animal on the block. 
At bedtime she was still a little goofball. It took some time to wind down, but eventually she settled into dreamland where I'm sure she'll wake up to share a stupendous tale about "manders" and "frogs" that danced through her imagination all night. These are the usual suspects.
Sometimes it's hard to believe she just turned two. She rounded the corner fast and hard. I had no idea she'd be so expressive at this age.

No comments: