Friday, May 1, 2009

Baby Chicks

We got a batch of layers again. We were down to one lonely chicken, Ari, who is a true survivor, but wanted to fill the coop this summer with spring hatchlings. Mike and Jake went down to Del's to pick out the peepers (Ashton and I spent plenty of time watching the chicks earlier that day before her her nap). We'll split the farm fresh eggs this Fall, but keep the cuties up here at our house. They say there is only a 5% chance that we'll get a rooster, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I loved waking up to Rocky and Red the last two summers. Regardless, Ashton loves the little peeps. She practically wants to crawl in the tub and toss them around like her little balls, but alas settles for the excited kicking and signing "bird.bird.bird." wildly while we watch carefully. It's amazing to see a day old chick. They are so fragile and hearty at the same time. I can't believe how much personality they have hopping around, nestling down, climbing through their food, basking in the hot lights. They "crack" me up. I have to sneak out to the studio several times during the day, and a couple before bed, just to get a quick chuckle. We're pretty excited to have chicken energy here on the "farm" again.

No comments: