Monday, December 1, 2008

To the Forest

It was nice to stay in Sequim this year for our Thanksgiving break. We usually find ourselves rushing around from city to city or state to state trying to accommodate all six of our parents, six siblings, and two cousins. This year we focused on Jake's side of the family and stayed in Sequim.

I always love going out to John and Nancy's house. It is so relaxing to walk through their woods, drink wine and engage in wild conversation with the soothing sounds of classic rock in the background. On Wed. we started the break early in the afternoon at the Woolley's and stayed for a delicious dinner that Ethan and Trina made. 

After spending Thursday with Mike and Rosalind, we headed out to Jadyne's new house for brunch. She is such and amazing cook. The moment I walk into her house I am inspired. Jake always jokes that I change the furniture around too much at our house--but going to Jadyne's home reminds me that it is perfectly natural to play with your stuff until it feels perfect. She has moved entire rooms since our last visit, and the space is so perfectly her, and so perfectly comfortable. When hanging out with Ashton and Wren in her room the thought crossed my mind that a perfect retreat in my life right now would be to hide away in her room thumbing through books and contemplating the deeper aspects of this past year. It is all flying by so quickly. I can hardly believe my baby is already half a year old.















On Saturday Ashton and I headed back to "Aunt Nancy's" for some more play time with Fisher while Trina and Wren went shopping and Ethan and Jake went fishing. John was still hiding in his "den." 

I just love the way Fisher and Ashton are looking at each other in this photo. Izzi has her goofy, tight smile perched on her lips and Fisher just looks bewildered by it.

I found that Fisher is definitely a boy banging away with his hammer and nails, and was delighted that he didn't mind sharing his screws with baby A. What I found most impressive though, was that Ashton loved his bouncy ball. She was actually kicking with wild excitement when we rolled the ball between the two of them. Perhaps she'll be a soccer player, no?


This photo is a real shocker. Talk about a good day. We are all smiling and all have our eyes open (Nancy too!).  I keep thinking that Izzi has Jake's smile, but then she spreads it wide across her face and I have to second guess my judgement. I just love getting four generations together. GG looks amazing. She is a true inspiration! 

The extended weekend was packed full of adventure, food and conversation. Thank you all for being such wonderful people to be around. I love you.

2 comments:

Ray and Sarah Schafer said...

what outstanding pictures. makes me a little homesick, i must admit... makes me truly grateful for what i have within my reach back home!

Unknown said...

chelsea, this is the best picture I have ever seen of Nancy and then the fact that everyone else looks amazing-this one needs a big fat frame!