Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Just the Three of Us

After an adventured filled summer with family and friends we decided to take a little camping trip with just the three of us. When we put up the tent and rolled out the sleeping bags Ashton found a little stuffed white mouse in her sleeping bag. Henry and Reid borrowed the bags earlier this summer and must have left the sweet treasure behind. We debated to whom the mousie was faithful--Henry or Reid, and Ashton claims it is Henry's. At any rate, the little critter entertained her for hours on end over our five day trip to E. Washington.


In the photo above she is flashing her new "fake" laugh. She'll scrunch up her nose, chuckle and say, "Is that funny?" It makes us laugh every time. She's finding out all the ways to strap the little mouse to her pack for a day of hiking and fishing at the Potholes.
"Let's do this."
Nothing like a camping feast. Poppie used the lid to our camping bin as a tray. Izzi loved it.
We roasted hot dogs and made popcorn over the fire. No, not just popcorn, but the best campfire popcorn I've ever tasted.
Here I am hoarding the delicious treat.
On Saturday night we had the pleasure of taking Ashton to her first concert at the Gorge. It was a dual headliner with Keith Urban and John Mayer, although Izzi will just claim she saw "John Mayer." I'm usually not hot to trot on country, but KU put on quite the show. Ashton made friends with the "ladies" behind us, and had immediate rapport when she realized that she had the same birthday as Carrie. They flirted before the show, and I'm sure that's where Izzi picked up some of her dance moves. She grooved like a seasoned concerteer--hands in the air, whooping at all the right parts, clapping inbetween songs, head banging during long guitar solos. I was proud. After about four songs (just after 8 o'clock) she said, "Mama, I'm tired," and put her head down on my shoulder. Although the next four hours of dancing with an extra 26lbs. packed next to my heart in the ergo wasn't easy, it was worth it. We all enjoyed the show. Many folks around us commented on how lucky Izzi was, and then expressed their amazement on how well she did. 
Upon returning home we went to harvest in the garden, feed the chickens, chase Teanaway around the yard and mow the lawn. Unfortunately, we've had to take a break from panties with all the unpredicatability of public restrooms and long hours on the road, but Izzi was eager to get back to them. I just hope she gets into the routine quickly.
Ashton found this really unique yellow squash in our garden. It is a "siamese twin" if you will. So beautiful, and yet so odd. We'll eat it for dinner tonight. The zucchinni got a little big, but I guess that is to be expected when you leave town for several days. The corn should be ready any day, and the onions, carrots, beans, cabbage and rhubarb are going off. All in all, our garden has been rather satisfying this summer.
Here's Poppie showing off the yellow squash smile and ripe tomatoes--all labors of our love.
I'm amazed how much pride sweet Ashton takes in her garden. She has grown to love veggies much more since watching them grow from seed to flower to fruit. We're pretty lucky to live where we do.

No comments: