Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Remembering JFK

While in Dallas we got to explore history through one of the world's most significant repositories of original photographs, film and video footage, documents and artifacts related to the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. Ashton was tolerant, but not overly thrilled about our afternoon recounting the hopes and dreams of a young president in office for 1000 days. She kept whispering in my ear "I'm all done now. Okay? Let's go now...okay?" John finally took her up to the top floor where she could run wild in the back room. 
I was amazed how moved I was by the muesum. I don't think I've ever teared up at one before, but I had to fight back the welling emotion several times. I'm also amazed by how far we come in such a short amount of time. It makes me wonder what changes I'll see in my own lifetime--or Ashton's. 
Although the 3 x marks on the road where JKF was shot marking the tragedy were a little creepy, we obliged Auntie Auddie in gathering on the grassy knoll (which is much smaller than any of us ever imagined) for a group photo. I would highly recommend visiting the JFK muesum if ever in Dallas. The collection and series of recollections is memorable.
 

No comments: